To view our Welcome Brochure, click here.
Who Can Get a Library Card?
Salem-South Lyon District Library (SSLDL) library cards are free for anyone who lives, teaches, or owns property/business in the City of South Lyon, Salem Township, or Green Oak Township. There is a limit of one library card per person.
Adults ages 18 and older can apply in person for an adult library card.
Children and Teens, age birth to 17:
- A parent or legal guardian must accompany minors that are applying for a library card.
- The signing parent or legal guardian is responsible for all material checked out on a child’s card.
South Lyon Community School staff and administrators can obtain a library card with proof of employment with the South Lyon School District.
Non-Residents can obtain a library card for $130/family/year. Click here for more information and frequently asked questions.
Families who live in Lyon Township or outside the TLN service area can purchase a "Pass" for $32.50 per family for 90 days. A valid library card from your home library is necessary.
To obtain a library card, you will need one of the following:
- Current driver’s license
- Current non-driver's identification
- Current passport
- Photo alien registration card
- Armed Forces ID card
If your address is not current on one of the items above, the second piece of ID is required:
- Current rental or lease agreement
- Bank statement
- Tax bill or receipt
- Utility bill (electric, gas, etc.)
The address on any bill must match the address on your library card application and can be no older than three (3) months.
Renewing Your Card
Cards expire annually. You must come to the library and provide an acceptable ID when renewing your library card.
Replacing Your Card
Report your lost or stolen library card immediately. You are responsible for any items borrowed on your card. To replace your card, you must show an acceptable ID.
You are responsible for the materials you borrow. You will be assessed fees if your materials are overdue, damaged, incomplete, or lost. SSLDL suspends borrowing privileges when your fines and fees exceed the $10 threshold. You can restore your borrowing privileges once your account falls below the $10 threshold.
You can borrow:
- Most books for 28 days. New books may vary between 14 and 21 days.
- Audiobooks for 28 days. New audiobooks are 21 days. You can borrow up to ten (10) audiobooks for one cardholder account.
- DVDs, CDs, and magazines for 1 week. New DVDs for 3 days. You can borrow a combined total of ten (10) DVD titles for one cardholder account. The same rule applies for music CDs.
SSLDL is a member of The Library Network, allowing patrons with a library card to check-out material from more than 65 other locations. For more information...
Most items that you check out can be renewed as long as the item you are trying to renew is not on hold by another patron and you have not exceeded your allotted renewal $10 threshold.
There are four ways to renew:
- In-person at Salem-South Lyon District Library
- Online by going to My Account in the library catalog—you will need to enter your 14-digit library barcode and PIN
- Over the phone by calling 248.437.6431- Please have your library card handy when renewing by phone
- Automated Phone Renewal for 24/7 TOLL-FREE renewals. You can now renew materials and check your library record by calling (888) 672-8983. You will need your library card, PIN, and a touch-tone phone. Please note that an all-numeric PIN number is required to use this service. Please see the Circulation Desk if you need help in establishing or changing your PIN.
Return materials in person or by using our drive-up book drop. We also have a dropbox conveniently located at Centennial Farms, Colonial Acres, and Salem Party Store.
Incomplete Sets/Missing Discs
Any material that has multiple parts (e.g. audiobooks, DVD sets) must have all parts in place at the time of return (including returns in book drops). SSLDL reserves the right to charge the full amount of the item for incomplete or missing items.
All materials are due back by the date indicated at the time of checkout or renewal. You will accrue extended use fees if you return your material after the due date. Overdue notices are sent by email or regular mail. Notices of items coming due are sent to those that select email as their primary form of contact. To ensure compliance with the Michigan Library Privacy Act, MCL 397.602(2)(i), SSLDL cannot provide any information about library records over the telephone.
Extended Use Fees
Extended use fees accrue per item, per calendar day, even when SSLDL is closed - holidays and Sundays are excluded.
- Books: $0.10/day
- Audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, and Games are: $.50/day
- Youth DVDs, Audiobooks and CDs are: $.25/day
- Collection Agency Fee: $15
- Current Fines Threshold: $10
SSLDL suspends borrowing privileges when your overuse fees exceed the $10 threshold. You can restore your borrowing privileges once your account falls below the threshold.
Unreturned materials are eventually “billed” to your account. You cannot place holds, renew materials, or check out new materials until the billed items have been returned or paid for. If you return a billed item, an extended use fee will be assessed (see extended use fee above). SSLDL utilizes a collection agency to assist in recovering lost/stolen materials.
Lost and Damaged Material
Customers who have lost or damaged library material will be charged the full amount of the library material.
Paying Your Fines and Fees
You can pay extended use fees using the following methods:
- Cash payment
- Checks made payable to SSLDL
- A credit card in person
- Credit card online
The library accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover
Tips to Avoid Fines and Fees
Look at the due dates for each individual item on the receipt provided to you at checkout.
Remember to renew your items before they are due. If you receive courtesy notices, you should renew your items immediately to ensure that the material is not on hold for another patron and that you will not have to return it.
You are responsible for all material checked out on your card. Do not let anyone use your card and do not divulge your PIN to anyone. Report your lost or stolen library card immediately.